Sunday 22 December 2013

Day 22 - "The Wassail Song" - The Albion Christmas Band

One of the unexpected 'pleasures' of the Advent Calendar is opening emails at Easter or in June or September and finding someone, somewhere has sent me a Christmas record to listen too.

There have been quite a few instances where I've removed sun glasses or adjusted T-shirt or logged on to check the Test Cricket score and found myself listening to a festive tune. For the first time this year though, I got a Carol not through email but from the stage - and from no lesser person than Fairport Convention's very own Simon Nichol who - for reasons I found it hard to fathom when you consider the number of albums the Fairport's have had in their history - decided to play 'The Wassail Carol' during their closing set at Cropredy in August.

"It's a warm August night, it's a Carol - must remember it for the Calendar" I thought. And here it is. There is a Fairport version on YouTube but I went with the Albion Band because I'm seeing them in concert on 23rd in Bury St Edmunds. 

"Wassail. Wassail, All over the town / Our toast it is white / And our ale it is brown". Good for you, the ale I got from Morrison's yesterday is a strange red colour...


No comments:

Post a Comment